Research Centers and chairs
The Advanced Manufacturing Institute
King Saud University (KSU) responded to strategic national requirements and placed industrial research and development among its top priorities in KSU’S Strategic Plan 2030. Engineering design and manufacturing has become a focus area of ongoing efforts, in which technology transfer and innovation are a significant source of added value, and where effective technological support is provided to various industrial sectors in the Kingdom with many advanced products, materials, machines and spare parts processing and re-manufacturing. The Advanced Manufacturing Institute (AMI) at KSU was established in 1433H (2012) as an expansion of the Program of Manufacturing Technology Transfer. The AMI serves the industrial sector, which undoubtedly represents a vital source of the national economy, and provides support to other civilian and military sectors. It aims to expand the achieved technical capabilities and technological facilities in order to serve a wider range of industrial clients as well as provide enhanced training, student supervision, and research-based innovative solutions to various manufacturing, design and material processing problems.
The objectives of AMI:
- To achieve research and development excellence in product design and manufacturing using advanced computer-aided systems capabilities and modern facilities for design, testing, manufacturing and quality assurance of products, spare parts and materials.
- To contribute to professional development of students and engineers via contributions to academic courses, training, workshops, graduate thesis supervision, case-studies and projects relating to design, manufacturing and inspection.
- To maintain in-house high quality research and development capabilities by recruiting and retaining distinguished expertise in advanced manufacturing areas as well as collaborating and interacting with leading national and international expertise in the field.
- To engage in continual collaborations with local civilian and military industries and to develop a community partnership targeted at developing and delivering effective and innovative solutions to design and manufacturing problems.
- To develop and sustain partnerships with national, regional, and international design and manufacturing institutions in order to create networks for knowledge-sharing and fruitful research and development participation.
Visit the institute website using the following URL:
Princess Fatimah Alnigris's Research Chair for Advanced Manufacturing Technology
Due to high significance of advanced manufacturing technologies and its role in progressing the industries and realizing the domestic technological and consumptions needs and fostering the industries competitiveness capabilities, with the aim to b e able to develop innovative sophisticated products, it was the need to establish the research chair.
The chair has been established Strategic objectives:
- Facilitate the culture of innovation and R&D in the field of Advanced Manufacturing Technology.
- Publicize the research outcome in high ranking international journals.
- Promote KSU as research university and knowledge hub.
- Secure sustainable development of national economy by supporting establishment of advanced manufacturing enterprises.
- Develop society-university interaction by offering continuing education opportunities to individuals working in local industry and government organizations.
- Man power development.
- Establish international collaboration, and attract talents from abroad.
- Provide services to local industries in the area of standardization, calibration and testing.
- Contribute in transferring and implanting of Advanced Manufacturing Technologies in the Kingdom.
Visit the chair website using the following URL: