COE Old Campus in Olaishah, Riyadh 1962-1983 COE New Campus in Derayah, Riyadh 1983-Now
The College of Engineering was established in 1382H (1962) as a joint venture between the Government of the Kingdom Saudi Arabia and the United Nations Educational, Scientific, Cultural Organization (UNESCO). In 1388H (1968), the College joined King Saud University, and has been on the path of development and growth from the outset, and this is evident in the marked increase in the number of students and faculty year after year, as well as in its scientific and research production in quantity and quality, and in the high scientific and professional level of its graduates. At the beginning of the academic year 1382/1383H (1962), the number of students was 17 and this number was increased until it reached about 2600 students in the academic year 1443H (2021), and similarly the number of faculty members and those in their rule in this period from 4 members to more than 360 members.
At the beginning of its establishment, the College had three departments: civil engineering, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. In the academic year 1387/1388H (1967), the Department of Architecture was established, which at the beginning of the university year 1404/1405H (1983) was transformed into an independent college under the name of the Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning, and in the university year 1394/1395H two other departments were established: chemical and Petroleum engineering, and in the academic year 1423/1424H (2002), the Department of Industrial Engineering was established as it was a program in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, bringing the number of departments of the college to six: Civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, Petroleum engineering, industrial engineering. In the year 1427H (2006), the name of the Petroleum Engineering Department was approved to be amended to the Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering Department.
In 1401H (1981), postgraduate programs at the College began with master's degree programs, followed by doctoral programs in 1409H (1989). In sum, there are now six departments offering the following degrees:
- Civil Engineering (B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D.)
- Electrical Engineering (B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D.)
- Chemical Engineering (B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D.)
- Mechanical Engineering (B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D.)
- Industrial Engineering (B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D.)
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering (B.Sc., and M.Sc.)
- Surveying Engineering (B.Sc.)
In addition to the following multidisciplinary degrees:
- Occupational Safety (Higher Diploma).
- Nuclear Engineering (M.Sc.).
- Renewable Energy (M.Sc.).
- Desalination Engineering (M.Sc.).
The Faculty of Engineering has received a large share of academic facilities in the university campus, where the number of smart classrooms 90 halls, in addition to many meeting rooms and meetings, and the college also has two runways equipped with all audio-visual means, while teaching laboratories and research laboratories have more than one hundred and fifty laboratories and laboratories equipped with all the equipment and extensions of water, gas and safety means, and college officials are constantly working to develop these laboratories and provide them with the latest equipment to make them able to meet the needs of students and faculty alike.
The College focuses on research activity through many chairs, centers and specialized research institutes that it hosts, as well as the College Research Center, which is the first research center to be established at King Saud University.