ABOUT EE DEPARTMENT RESEARCH
The faculty of the electrical engineering, as part of the university and the College of Engineering, has great and versatile opportunities to participate in research activities at the university level, or college level or at the institutional level.
At the university level:
KSU has been exploring innovative new ways to collaborate, nationally and internationally, on producing high-quality research carefully in line with national and international research priorities. KSU is intended to create a global network with leading universities and research institutes to authorize another. The university offers several opportunities to increase faculty qualifications and experience which will enable them to keep faculty active and knowledgeable of the changes in the area and this reinforces the undergraduate program. These opportunities also serve the community through various channels which include:
I. 1st International Scientific Twin Program, KSU has created alliances with leading international universities, signing agreements with international institutions. With the number of twinning programs that the university puts in place (over 30), there is obviously a great potential to further strengthen these ties to raise the quality of research and build such capacity at KSU. These Twin Program will allow KSU to increase its international presence, while use of best practices and capacity.
II. Prince Sultan Advanced Technologies Research Institute (PSATRI) is the leading research institutes founded by KSU and Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF) in 2008. To conduct applied scientific and technical research and development to support the Royal Saudi Air Force and other Saudi military and security users in becoming more effective and efficient regional leaders through:
ü Providing expert scientific and technical consultations and studies.
ü Managing technology transfer and localization programs related to equipment procurement.
ü Performing applied research and development to develop know-how and provide solutions.
ü Expanding the capacity of industrial and manufacturing sectors to develop innovation in defense-related technologies, products, and solutions.
ü Supporting the academic and research capacity of KSU by establishing advanced facilities and collaborating with international experts in the fields of defense-related and security.
III. Scholar scholarship programs that enhance the internationalization of KSU employees, expand international programs, faculty and staff development, and encourage and help teachers to conduct research abroad.
IV. Sustainable Energy Technological (SET) center is another leading research center under the KSU founded facilities. To developing sustainable energy technologies through distinguished research, aligned with the national economy strategies. Conducting the state of the art research in the field of sustainable energy technologies.
ü Developing innovative sustainable energy technologies in alignment with the national strategic plans.
ü Enriching the scientific knowledge and technical skills through education & training to bring forth qualified manpower in the areas of sustainable energy to meet the national needs.
ü Collaborating with the industrial sector and the research community worldwide to provide technical support and consultation in sustainable energy development projects.
ü Enhancing public awareness to promote the culture of clean and sustainable energy.
SET centre service provided: Research & Technology Development in Nuclear & Renewable Energy. Consultation in various fields of Nuclear & Renewable Energy and education & Training. Graduate Programs: M.S. in Renewable Energy (Wind Energy, Solar Energy, Hydrogen Energy) and Short Courses & Training in different fields of Nuclear & Renewable Energy.
V. Research funding provided by Deanship of Scientific Research
VI. Centers outside the university including King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST), Saudi Arabian Basic Industrial Corporation (SABIC), and Saudi Aramco Company that provides teachers with financial support to applied research.
VII. Deanship of Studies to support research conducted by graduate students under the guidance of teachers.
At the college level:
There are several and active channels for research engagement at the college level as include:
I. College Research Centre: Then, after starting the school year 1394-1395 H (1974-1975G), Research Centre, the College of Engineering committed to encouraging the scientific activities of the College teachers by providing them with financial, technical and administrative support. However, a number of teachers are able to implement unfunded research at academic institutions as well. Common research with external institutions such as those granted by King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST), SABIC and higher Training for university is also under-way. Faculty members publish the results of their research in scientific journals and conferences. One of these is Journal of King Saud University (Engineering Sciences), which is published every two of KSU Libraries Dean Ship. Tutorial periodic report for the engineering program, in December 2013 the copyright in the Electrical Engineering Department at King Saud University.
II. Centre of Excellence for Research in Construction Materials (CEREM): is a initiative of the Ministry of Higher Education. The center was established in 2007 at the College of Engineering, King Saud University. It provides synergistic and interactive program of collaborative research, information dissemination and technology transfer, and new initiatives to address the changing needs of our society. The center supports long-term research on materials and leading.
At Department Level:
The department has a very well know reputation in the field of scientific electrical Engineering research. Among our staff are a number of internationally known and heavily cited researchers. Currently, the EED three active research chairs and more than 25 employees work in these chairs and centers professors, research assistants, research assistants, laboratory engineers and laboratory technicians. Most chairs have many national and international collaborations with eminent scientist and institutions. The chairs are followed and monitored by King Saud University. The College has been assigned mode to run activity chairs and extend the necessary administrative support. A short description of research chairs and excellence is provided below:
I. Saudi Aramco Chair in Electrical Power:
Represent a focal point to be referred to and built on in implementing distinguished quality researches and studies in all fields related to power equipment and systems. This will help in constructing an effective partnership with all entities related to electricity sector in the Kingdom, along with increasing its efficiency, extending its services and improving its performance.
Provide a conducive academic and research environment to enhance the academic research and enrich applied studies in all electricity power fields and all other fields related to electricity sector, for enhancing cooperation to achieve chair objectives within stipulated plans and domains prepared for it. In addition to above, this chair will also help in building a distinguished generation of researchers and postgraduate students. It will also organize courses, symposiums and workshops to develop and adopt modern techniques and advanced methods in electric power systems for its reliability improvement.
1) Enhance the role of Electrical Engineering Department in studies and research related to Electric Power Systems.
2) Continuously upgrade the academic syllabus for Electric Power Engineering in order to meet the modern challenges.
3) Participate in teaching and providing lectures for university students in all specializations related to Electric Power Engineering.
4) Organize short courses, symposiums and workshops in the field of Electric Power.
5) Supervise researches of postgraduate students in the field of Electric Power, with priority to company delegates.
6) Provide consultant services to all public and private establishments regarding Electric Power in the Kingdom.
7) Support and assist research and development in order to improve performance, reliability and efficiency of Saudi Aramco electric system.
8) Develop theoretical, analytical and numerical methods and tools useful for design, analysis, diagnostics and assessment of different subsystems of electrical system.
9) Adopt, explore and inspect wide ranges of tools, models, methods, and technological software to represent a strong, promising and practical factor in improving research and development.
10) Upgrade the university labs and use these labs to conduct tests on Saudi Aramco equipment and to conduct research that serves the company.
Aramco Projects: The Chair agreement between Saudi Aramco and King Saud University was signed in October, 2008. The official inauguration and the start of the research work were at the end February, 2010. The Chair was inaugurated by H.E. Prof. Abdullah Othman Rector, King Saud University and H.E. Eng. Essam Al-Bayat Vice President, Engineering Services, Saudi Aramco. Four research projects were agreed upon and initiated in March, 2010.
1. Project title: Downed Conductors Detection and PI is Dr. Yasin Khan.
2. Project title: Cable Insulation Diagnostics and On-Line Condition Assessment Techniques and PI is Dr. M. I. Qureshi.
3. Project title: The Effect of Voltage Sag on the Performance of Electrical Equipment and PI is Prof. Dr. Rizk Hamouda.
4. Project title: Imapct of Distributed Generators on Reliability and Power Quality of Distribution Systems and PI is Dr. Essam A. Al-Ammar.
II. Chair in Power System Reliability and Security:
The chair leading the scientific and technical reference for high-quality research and studies relating to power system reliability evaluation and security assessment. Also the Chair strives to foster a scientific research environment, which supports applied studies in the area of power system reliability evaluation and security assessment, through strong collaboration and partnership with the Saudi Electricity Company (SEC) as well as vigorous encouragement and supervision of high-quality researchers and graduate students in the College of Engineering.
The Chair will work to accomplish several key objectives, which include general objectives (that benefit the power engineering research and education at KSU), and special objectives (that benefit SEC), namely:
1) Strengthening the role of the university through Power System Research Group in the field of power system reliability and security.
2) Conducting studies and research projects in the area of electrical engineering with an emphasis on power system topics.
3) Developing and evaluating of the academic curriculum of the University and helping in the design and preparation of programs and curricula in the field of electrical engineering.
4) Contributing to the teaching and lecturing to university students in the disciplines of electrical engineering and its applications with a focus on electric power courses.
5) Enriching discussions and cooperation in research pertaining to power system reliability and security through organizing periodic seminars and workshops and issuing periodic newsletters that aim to manage and organize training and short courses.
6) Supervising research postgraduate students in the field of electric power giving priority to the students sponsored by SEC.
7) Providing specialized consultancy to both private and public entities on the electric power filed in Saudi Arabia.
8) Participating in updating the laboratories of Electrical Engineering Department with the latest state of the art in specialized software and equipment.
Also the chair has the some special objectives:
1) Improving the research and development tools, which are used to investigate and assess those phenomena that cause degraded reliability of the electrical power system or reduce the levels and quality of its services.
2) Supporting and strengthening research and development efforts directed towards studying and evaluation of the consequences and costs of poor quality or reliability of the electric system from the perspective of both the company and the consumer with a high level of accuracy and professionalism.
3) Developing theoretical, analytical and computational tools of various research studies involving the modern and new methods to evaluate the rationale and the integrated effects and consequences of the decline of levels of power system reliability, low quality and lack of security and the loss of scheduled maintenance for the transmission and distribution networks.
4) Exploring and examining extensively the tools and models, methods and software technology that would be a solid foundation and a promising tool to improve the research and development and promotion in the areas of evaluating acceptable levels of reliability for both power suppliers and consumers and maintain the security of transmission and distribution networks and increase their efficiency and adequacy.
SEC support of the Chair has been widely recognized on the international level through quality publications (which bear direct affiliation to the SEC Chair as well as acknowledgment to SEC) by the Chair researchers and graduate students in reputable international journals.
Teaching Staff and Student Involvement in Research
Faculty at Electrical Engineering are encouraged to be involved in research actives because:
ü The skilled opportunities and in the way for research within the university, college and department.
ü Belief in the faculty to fulfil the mission of the program in serving the community through participation in knowledge sharing outreach and professional activities that include innovative research, developing new technologies and training and skills development.
ü Belief in the Faculty updated with the latest advances in electrical engineering that allows them to update their skills and courses they teach.
ü The belief in the faculty to be involved in further education activities with graduate students (Master and PhD).
ü It is part of their advancements criteria and performance evaluation.
Ra'id Program is an initiative of the programs supported by Dean Ship scientific Research that aims to generously support junior faculty to perform high- quality research projects are evaluated and examined by national and international peer review. KSU has established the Intellectual Property Rights Program whose main responsibility is to protect intellectual property rights KSU staff including students.
KSU acquires adroitness manifested as laboratory equipment, library and computer facilities which are housed at the department, college and university levels. The plant and equipment Supported financially by the University budget, donors, research funding and Ministry Higher Education. These facilities provide adequate support for teachers and researchers to conduct research that is reflected in scientific results, excellent research, quality scientific papers, patents and discoveries.
The University's ambition to become a research-intensive university requires immediate attention capacity KSU existing infrastructure support. KSU will reshape and streamline support operations throughout the university within a culture of professionalism that is in line with the strategic objectives. The Department has aggressively approached all means funding for instating the labs with state of the art equipment supporting the various research trends.
List of Laboratories of the Department of Electrical Engineering: