Muhammad F. Hawari Master Theses
Theses Title : Development of Pavement Maintenance Management System For Border Roads in Saudi Arabia.
The study has developed a pavement maintenance management system for border roads which have been constructed by the general directorate of bordered guard in Saudi Arabia. The scope of the system aims to manage the maintenance activities within the available recourses and decrease spends on maintenance works. The system depends mainly on systemic methods and procedures in data acquiring, recording, pavement evaluating, maintenance needs and decisions, maintenance priorities, and determining the cost and activities of the future maintenance programs, using computer soft wares integrated with geographic information system program for managing geographic and inventory data. This study involve field survey for 745 km sample distance on the road at northern border of Saudi Arabia. To achieve these goals the maintenance management system contained basic elements organized in the subsequent items:
- Identification and coding system, where the pavement samples were divided into equal sections, then a standardized coding method applied to the road network. A global positioning system devise(GPS) was used as part of this stage to collect geographic coordinates for each pavement section in the border network road.
- Inventory and pavement data collection procedure, a uniform data collection sheets were designed to collect both the geometric and structural data for each pavement section.
- Methodology of pavement evaluation. Many international and local pavement evaluation systems were investigated, next a proper methodology for the border pavement network has been initiated. A visual inspection procedure was used to evaluate the pavement sections under study, using standard field surveying practices.
- Database Development. Computer software’s were employed for database management, The process includes data storage, data manipulation, data conversation and data retrieving.
- Determination of maintenance needs and decisions. Based on predefined standards and constrains, methodology was set to determine the proper treatment for the need of each pavement section.
- Maintenance priorities. Identification and implementation of maintenance standard for maintenance priorities. Maintenance priorities lists resulted, contain all the road sections needs maintenance listed in descending ordered.
- Maintenance programs. Methodology for determination future programming has been established. According to the methodology, based on the department budget, maintenance priorities and maintenance activities cost, maintenance programs lists could be selected.
- Combination the maintenance elements with referenced coordinate system and digital maps using geographic information system software. The integration between GIS and PMMS was very practical and reliable to improve and enhance the ability of the maintenance staffs for storing, revision, analyzing, visualizing each section in the pavement network.